2.20.2009

Labor of love

You may have noticed in my post about our new glider this pillow that I made. I found this really fun polka dot fabric with all of the colors we have been using and so I decided that it was perfect for a pillow for Griffin.

Well it turned out that the pillow was not enough for me, but that I just had to do more. I honestly had no idea what I was getting myself into though when I came up with this wonderful idea that I would make him a blanket and put his name on it. Well I have done blankets in the past with the many different squares on one side and then a solid on the back (this time I used a red minky (extra soft) fabric). Anyways this time I had to cut out each fabric, then do the applique letters for his name.. yea that took about 20-30 minutes a letter, and then sew it all together, which took at least 30 minutes for each row.... Wowzers! 20+ hours later... this is what ya get
Of course there are some imperfections here and there, and not until I had it all sewn together did I realize it looked like a circus sheet with ALL of the colors going on... but I hope he likes it :)
There is no doubt that my son will know his colors and how to spell his name haha!
This week of making the blanket has really taught me a lot. If you would have asked me a month ago if I would consider taking a whole week to sit at a sewing machine just to make one blanket, I would have laughed! But of course I am slowly starting to realize that as a mom, there is no amount of time that is ever enough to give to your children. And what would seem like a sacrifice for anyone else... is only small for your precious child.
And even though I complained to JR every night this week when he got home about how my butt was soar from sitting in my sewing chair all day and how my back hurt because I couldnt take my hands off for one second or it would mess up or that I seriously just could not believe what I thought would take about a day had taken ALL week to do......
it was totally worth it in the end. During those hours of time that my machine was doing all the work and I was simply laying my hands to guide here and there... I was able to pray for Griffin. I was able to thank God for the gift that He has given us and think of all of the times yet to come with our son, both good and bad. It truly was symbolic as I had my hands of love on this blanket for that entire time and could feel Griffin kicking up a storm as he heard the machine go.. and just think "Wow, I am really having a son, and I am making this blanket for him!" I know I always seem to be in awe at this and it hits me differently as different things happen, but it is SO true.. I am truly in awe.
I love you sweet Griffin and cannot wait until you get to see your blanket that your mommy made for you. I know you wont even realize what it is for a really long time, however one day I do hope you look at it and see how much I love you.

7 comments:

Ashlee said...

Not that making things for little boys isn't a blast, but wait until you have a little girl! Everything is so cute and it takes a ton more time to get right... I can't tell you how many hours I have spent trying to make things for her this week!

Lindsey said...

The blanket is awesome! I hope someday I can sew as well as you!!

Jenny Cordero said...

very cool!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I am in awe myself!!

Can you make me one? Ha!

Lindsey you are truly an artist! I love to see the many things you both come up with!

LU3!

Love,
Auntie S

Marsha Turley said...

Oh girl that is some kinda cuteness right there! I am VERY impressed! nice work! get used to that pain b/c something (s) else is gonna be hurting soon! lol!! =)

Tara said...

I LOVE the blanket and pillow Lindsey! You are so creative and I absolutely love all of the bright colors! He is going to love it one day and then he will be able to look at it when he is an adult and truly appreciate all of the time, work, and LOVE that was put into it! Great job!

secarden said...

seriously speechless ... if my name didn't have 34 letters in it, i'd ask you to make me one :-)

you rock, oh and what time does your show come on again, between martha stewart and rachael ray?

jk jk

you are superwoman

-sis